Tuesday, February 3, 2009

some time to relax, rethink and reflect

a double of a single malt and i'll tip any bartender no matter what the genus. mikey seen here is the better half of jen from the alibi. looking at those eyes glare at my left-over tamale from 'rice', i sit and wonder what my patrons think when sitting on this side of my bar.
do they think of me as i think of mikey salavating over what lurks in my pocket or are they as genuine as i am in asking "hey ferd, whats the word?" as i pour his daily screwdriver? are they just there for the 2 for 1 specials, $4 martinis, margaritas or simply the company as i often am? such thoughts make me cherish my years spent tending the bar. its often at these difficult economic times that i am thankful to have a recession-proof job and loyal, local and most importantly loving patrons. patrons who will tell me their issues and listen to my perspective as well as hear me rant over cheap customers and the daily bull that comes with the job much like marco. i feel at ease knowing that the good will return and the bad will return less frequently. having an understanding employer works both ways sometimes. its understood that i can be late sometimes as my bar isn't stocked at all times. something may be sticky when we open up but then again my tip-out may share the same residue. give and take is the nature of work and i have learned to accept and love it. it may not be for everyone but for someone out there its comforting to know of a place where everybody knows your name.....and they're always glad you came.

"cheers"

2 comments:

  1. i'm awestruck at how quickly you wrote that. you're a writer, indeed. the theme of the evening seems to be that of loneliness or to think about it a little deeper- what exactly does it do for the soul to be able to connect with another person. is it prerequisite for fulfillment? i was just having this conversation with my best friend, probably as you were writing this. i find it refreshing that you are clear about the give and take between you and your customers. it matters to you that they, at least some of them, notice you there on the other side of the bar. it's about the connection... even if it is contigent on how well you mix a martini. i like mine dirty- with olives please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wouldn't say that i'm a writer but that i enjoy many forms of expression. and that in turn can come from anything...even reading a book as i am rite now. any form of release is expression even if its a simple self release from the present.

    olives suk btw :)

    ReplyDelete